Program Promotion

Opioid Addiction Workshop Promotion

Group Members
Roles
Commented On
Dakota Nicley
Promotion Video
Group 1
Samantha McFadden
Digital Media
Group 1
Katye Wormer
Reflection
Group 1

Video 1: Reflection on Course

**Transcript for Video:
· What did you learn from this course?
This course dealt with learning theories related to adult learning. We covered several schools of thought, such as behaviorism, humanism, feminism, and more. Through weekly discussions, we fine-tuned our understanding of the weekly topic through the use of discussion and examples. But what I learned wasn’t just from the textbook. I groaned when I discovered we would be working in small groups over an online course. I haven’t had much luck with group work. However, three of the four of us in our small group worked together well to make sure that everything was done in a timely manner that was up to our standards. We communicated smoothly and worked together when one of our group members was no longer responding to communication attempts. Group work is important in employment, so this was a reminder for me of that and that it can go well when people are invested in the outcome.
· What did you like or dislike about our online discussions, group project and this course in general?
I also learned what my expectations are for my professors. Of the four graduate-level courses I have taken, this is the only course where the professor has engaged with the students during the weekly discussions. I have found that to be very important to me and something I will gauge the rest of my classes and professors on.
One thing I did not like about our online discussions was the format of the questions. The organization of the information for us to respond to was lacking. But that is the only issue I have had with them.
My current goal for after graduation won’t deal with program designs, to my knowledge. But having that skill under my belt will help me when I am planning out classes and plans for my future students to follow. So though I may not become an adult educator, what I have learned in this class I can take and apply in other ways.
· How do you think the project was able to help you understand the practical field and the theories?
Our group studied experiential learning and the cycle that follows. I think that applies to this class. We did a lot of reflective observation, which occurs through the weekly discussions when we reflect on what we’ve read and the information our classmates disseminate. It was guided through the interaction of Dr. Chang. We also worked through abstract conceptualization by creating examples for how the theories worked. It gave us a better understanding of the theories themselves by seeing how they play out through our knowledge gained. We worked through the stage of concrete experience by creating program designs and promotion. This gave us experience in a controlled environment. The active experimentation phase will play out in our current jobs, future classes, and future employment, where we will take what we’ve learned and apply it in real-world situations.
· Use examples to tell us how the various learning resources in weekly discussions help you understand the theories and how to apply theories to practice?
The first example that comes to mind surrounds our discussion about experiential learning. That is the topic my group chose to create a design around. During that week’s discussion, videos were available that explained experiential learning, and in particular, the experiential learning model. That model became the base for our design. I have actually begun seeing parts of the model in my work environment and the work I do with students and the work my advisors do with students.
The other video from that week outlines reflective practice. I have been incorporating that into my classwork more and more. I particularly see how much it is an
afterthought in some courses and the lack of guidance from the leaders during reflection. These videos and links that are provided can bring the theories into layman’s terms, meaning they are easily understood. They help us process the information and reinforce what we have read in the book.
· What do you suggest to better support your learning?
One aspect that would help me is the utilization of the course calendar. One of my courses has assignments set up with specific due dates that then appear on the calendar in Canvas. This course lets us know when the due dates are, but they are not put into the system officially. If that could be done, then Canvas can create notifications based on what is due when, and students can look at the calendar for the semester and see the due dates.
· What are your suggestions for future students?
Future students should make use of their calendars, whether that is on their phones, computer, or a physical one. Due dates can sneak up on you, so having that information ahead of time can prepare you.
Along those same lines, be aware of due dates. Review the course outline that Dr. Chang has available in several places. Make sure you are at least working a few days ahead. Your stress levels and health will thank you.
Utilize your group. Take your responsibilities in the group seriously. Do not be afraid to ask your group members questions. You may think your question is stupid, but chances are, someone else is thinking it, too. Also, don’t be afraid to ask Dr. Chang questions. Our professor is available and wants to help out.

Program Promotion



Comments

  1. Thank you for posting your program promotion. I love your brochure (beautiful!), and the fact that you included the transcript for your video is helpful for accessibility.

    I agree that the course would be clearer with dates included in the Canvas calendar; this would allow students to visualize their assignments rather than in a list or grid format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the presentation of your brochure. It was creative, very detailed, and easy to gather information.

    I also liked the fact that you posted the transcript for your video. I share your appreciation of receiving Dr. Chang's input throughout our weekly discussions as well as her accessibility throughout the course this semester.

    - Deanna Zimmer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Incorporating Experiential Learning Techniques

Program Design: Experience with Opioid Addiction